Pricing How It Works Traditional Mail Digital Mail FAQ New Client Paperwork South Dakota Services Vehicle Registration Cost Calculator Residency Tax Calculator Step By Step Residency Guide FMCA Contact Client Portal menu


Traditional Mail Forwarding

Traditional Mail Forwarding

What does my new address look like?

Your new address will be our physical street address with a unique PMB #. EXAMPLE:
John and Susan Smith
401 E. 8th Street, Suite 214-xxxx
Sioux Falls, SD 57103

Can I stop into the office to pick up my mail anytime you are open?

Absolutely! We love to see our customers face to face. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm Central time.

What does PMB stand for?

Personal Mail Box, it is considered a “physical address” by the U.S. Post Office.

Do I need an appointment to come in and sign up?

Appointments are preferred for in person sign ups but are not necessary. Call or email us to schedule an appointment, we’d love to see you.

How do I check my postage balance?

Checking postage is easy. Your current postage balance is included in the "mail sent" confirmation email. You can also check anytime by logging into the client portal page.

I move around often, do you charge me every time I want to give you a new address?

No, Your Best Address does not charge to update a new forwarding address. You can update your forwarding address anytime using the client portal. You keep the same PMB and address the entire time you are our client in order to make things easier for you.

Do you charge extra for extra mailings during the month, change my frequency, or putting my mail on hold while I travel when I have a schedule?

No! We don’t believe in nickel and diming our customers.

Can you ship overseas?

Yes. With packages we will need to know what is in the package for the customs paperwork, but we frequently ship overseas.

Can I have more than 1 name on the PMB?

Yes, if it is your spouse, significant other, partner, or child. We don’t charge extra for this.

How can I add/remove someone from my PMB?

Adding a new recipient to a box after signup carries a $50 fee. To add someone to your account after signup, contact us for a digital 1583. If filling out a paper copy instead of digital, you will need to have the 1583 notarized and mailed to our office with a photocopy of 2 ids. Please give us a call and let us know in case we start to get mail before we get the PS Form 1583 - We are required to return mail to sender if the recipient is not an active YBA client with a properly completed 1583 in our possession.

Why do you require the PS Form 1583?

All mail forwarding companies are legally required to have you fill our PS Form 1583. This is required by the US Postal service for all CMRA (Commercial Mail Receiving Agencies) like us to be legally able to handle your mail. We offer an online version of this form during signup. The online version does not need to be notorized (we do this for you). If you send in the printable version instead, the form must be notarized, and you must provide 2 IDs to the notary. When you sign up, you must mail in the original PS Form 1583 and a copy of 2 IDs for identification purposes.

I have a business can I use your mail services?

Yes, we have business accounts available. If you operate a business with large volumes of mail or need 2 or more businesses signed up to a single box, there is an additional $17 per month fee.

I have used other companies like yours and they did not require the PS Form 1583 ,why do you?

a. This is required by the US Postal service for all CMRA (Commercial Mail Receiving Agencies), to be legally able to handle your incoming and outgoing mail. This form must be notarized, and you must provide 2 ids to the notary. Mail in the original PS Form 1583 and a copy of 2 ids for identification purposes.

b. If the CMRA has no Form 1583 on file for the intended addressee, the CMRA must return that mail to the Post Office responsible for delivery with this endorsement: “Undeliverable, Commercial Mail Receiving Agency, No Authorization to Receive Mail for this Addressee.” This mail is returned to the Post Office without new postage. The CMRA must return misdelivered mail the next business day after receipt.

I have signed up for your services, but I am still getting mail at my house why?

The best way to handle this is to update your mailing address with each individual service. You can also do a temporary change of address with the USPS. A permanent change of address is not recommended as it is difficult to change should you stop using our service.

What do I need to do to get mail for my minor children?

On the PS Form 1583 line 12 enter all your minor children’s names. After that, their mail will be sent to your PMB here at our secure facility

I get mail for my deceased loved one do I need to do something special for this?

If you receive mail for a deceased loved one, we ask that you put their name on the application, so we know who it belongs to. Mail addressed to a deceased person may be received at the address of the deceased by anyone who would normally receive the addressee’s mail at that address.

Can I live in another state and use your mail forwarding services?

Yes, almost all our clients live outside of South Dakota. Anyone anywhere can use our mail forwarding services, even those who live overseas.

I own a home in another state and want to get residency in SD for tax purposes, can I do that?

Many of our clients qualify for South Dakota residency for tax purposes, but because we are not tax experts, we cannot make a guarantee on your specific situation. For tax and legal advice, you will want to contact a licensed specialist.

What is the minimum amount of time I can use your services?

If you are using the address for South Dakota residency or vehicle registrations, you must permanently maintain an annual subscription. For seasonal users, the minimum amount of time is 3 months. It takes the post office about 2 weeks for them to get the mail rerouted to us at the beginning and again at the end to rerouted back to your home address.

Digital Mail

What is the advantage of digital mail?

Digital Mail allows you to see and manage your mail online, anytime and anywhere. If you need quick access to incoming mail, such as if you receive checks, legal paperwork, or other time sensitive materials, Digital Mail is the choice for you. Use any smartphone or computer to log into your secure account on our custom platform. Then, see your mail and select the action you would like to take – “Shred”, “Save”, “Mail”, or “Open & Scan”

How do I set up an account?

You can set up an account by including Digital Mail in your plan when signing up. Within 8 business days (usually faster) we will send you the account creation information. From here, you simply create a username and password and can then access your Digital Mail account anytime from anywhere. You can also upgrade to Digital Mail anytime from the client portal.

How quickly does mail get uploaded?

Our Digital Mail team scans every envelope every day, so your mail is made available the day we receive it.

Can it save me money?

Yes. By telling us ahead of time which pieces to shred or hold, you can easily save money on shipping. It also saves you time and hassle in dealing with important mail.

Can I update my address, choose when and how to send mail, and deposit postage from the app?

Yes. We are constantly adding new features to make the Digital Mail experience as time saving as possible. Updating your info on the app saves both you and our team time. But don’t worry, you can always call or email us if that is easier for you.

Are there any fees for using digital mail?

Yes, Digital Mail costs a monthly fee. In addition, requesting an “Open and Scan” will carry a fee based on the number of relevant pages that must be scanned. We do our best not to scan or charge for unneeded pages.

Vehicle Registration

Can you assist me in registering my vehicles?

Of course! We can assist over the phone or through the mail. Once you are enrolled in our mail forwarding service, complete this form to schedule an appointment. Our fee is typically $185 per vehicle with FMCA members getting the first registration free.

Do I have to be a resident to register my vehicle?

You cannot register a vehicle in a state where you are not a resident. Make an appointment with our dedicated vehicle registration specialist, online at or by phone at 605-334-5313.

Do I need an appointment to come in and get my vehicles registered?

Vehicles can be registered entirely online, but you do have to have a South Dakota address here in Minnehaha County - which is why you must be enrolled in our mail forwarding service. You will need your current license and social security card to register a vehicle.

Do I have to get my vehicles inspected?

No, not for South Dakota vehicle registration.

When do I need to renew my vehicle registration?

Your SD registration renewal month is based on the first letter of your last name:
A / B – January
C / D / E – February
F / G / J – March
H / I / O – May
K / L – June
M / N – July
P / Q / R – August
S – September
T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z – November

Example: If your last name begins with “R,” your first request for your registration will be issued with an expiration/renewal in August. If you request to register in May, your plates will expire in August. The annual fee will be prorated for you on the first year, so you will only pay for the few months of actual time (i.e.: you only pay from May to August).

Upon your renewal in August, it will then be a full year registration and will always be due to be renewed in August.

Contact our vehicles specialist at Your Best Address 605-334-5313 to assist with your renewals, or you can do renewals yourself when you receive your renewal card.

Does the dealership have to do my registration?

Not usually. In most cases, the dealership does not have to do your registration.

My vehicle is financed, and the bank/financier has the title. Can I register this vehicle in South Dakota without the title?

No, we must have the title. We contact your lien holder to have the title sent to our county.

Can I register my vehicle anywhere in the State?

No, vehicles must be registered in the same county as your address. In the case of Your Best Address clients that is Minnehaha County, South Dakota.

I don’t have the title to my vehicle, what can I do?

To make this process easier for you, we can write to the lender for your title. At the time of the appointment (either by phone or in person) with our Vehicle Registration Specialist, you will need to have the lender name and address, your loan or account number, and a fax number or email address where the letter requesting the title be sent to South Dakota can be sent.

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for the title to be sent from the lender to South Dakota. We will write the letter and send same day of the appointment. We can only write for the title and must allow 30 days before we can send a 2nd request. We cannot call the lender, but you can.

When will I receive my South Dakota title?

Titles will arrive separate from the registration. It can take up to eight weeks to receive your title once the registration has been processed.

When you have a lienholder on your vehicle loan, your title will remain in an electronic form only until the time your loan is paid off and the lienholder releases their interest in your vehicle. At that time a paper title will be printed and mailed to you. South Dakota has been an ELT state since October 2012.

What is unladen vehicle weight, and why do I need it?

Unladen vehicle weight (sometimes called unloaded, dry, curb, or shipping) is the weight of the vehicle when it came off the line at the factory. South Dakota uses this weight to calculate the license fees. Documentation of this weight is needed for all motorhomes, 5th wheels, travel trailers, as well as all trailers. Most times documentation can be found in the vehicle itself on a specification sticker in the unit.

What is needed to register a RV/5th wheel if I live out of the country?

You will need your SD driver’s license, original title, and a picture of the weight sticker (unladen vehicle weight, curb weight).

How much is the South Dakota wheel tax?

The South Dakota wheel tax caps at $16 per wheel, but can be lower.

How can I renew my vehicle registrations?

1. Individuals with a South Dakota drivers license may renew online at

2. Mailing a money order or cashier’s check to: Minnehaha County Treasurers Office:
415 N Dakota Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57104

South Dakota Residency & Domicile

Do I have to live in South Dakota full time to be a resident?

No! To become a South Dakota resident, you must only spend one night every five years in the state. Make sure to get a receipt from wherever you stayed, you will need to get a South Dakota driver’s license at the local DMV.

What are the steps to obtain my SD Driver's License?

  • Appear in person at a SD Driver Testing Agency
  • Pass a Basic Vision Test
  • Surrender your current valid Driver’s License
  • Bring a receipt demonstrating proof of a SD Mailing Address (request and we will provide this to you)
  • Bring Receipt of one night stay in SD (stay must be less than 1 year old)
  • Pay $28 (cash only) and your license is valid for five years.

You can now renew your driver’s license through the mail. You will still need to provide a copy of a receipt of your stay in South Dakota (receipt needs to be less than a year old).

You must bring one of the following items to prove identity, date of birth and lawful status:

Valid unexpired U.S. passport
Certified U.S. birth certificate
Valid unexpired permanent resident card
Valid unexpired employment authorization document
Certificate of Naturalization
Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94
Certificate of Citizenship

You must also bring one of the following items to serve as proof of your Social Security Number.

Social Security card
SSA 1099 Form
Non-SSA 1099 Form
W-2 Form
Pay stub (must include name and social security number)

Please note if your last name is different on one of your IDs, you will need to provide the necessary documentation on why it is (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.)

Finally, you will need to fill out a Residency Affidavit Form, available at all South Dakota Driver’s License stations or available online during sign up with Your Best Address.

My license is about to expire, do I have to take a test to get a new one?

You can renew or get a new license up to 30 days after your current license has expired to avoid taking the written test.

Not necessarily. You can renew or get a new license up to 30 days after your current license has expired to avoid taking the written test. If your license has been expired for more than 30 days, you will have to repeat the written test.

I travel full-time and was served a Jury summons, what do I do?

Recently Minnehaha County made a significant change in how they handle Juror Summons for clients with a mobile lifestyle. If you receive a summons for Jury Duty please call them at 605-782-3062, or access the website with the Login and Password you receive in your letter. We are working with the County to try and modify their position, but for the time being please contact them as soon as you receive the summons. Thank you.

As a South Dakota resident, can I register to vote in South Dakota?

Yes, you can. Voter Registration forms are available at our office, the county treasurer’s office or CLICK HERE to download the forms needed. To register to vote, you will need to spend at least one night at a motel or local RV Park within Minnehaha County. You will then use that address as your voting residential address (your personal mailbox address with us does not qualify as a residential address for voter registration purposes). Be sure to have the name of each person in your RV printed on the official receipt from the motel or campground.

How do I get an absentee ballot?

15 days before an election, request an absentee ballot.

Once you request to vote via Absentee Ballot, it is good for one calendar year. After one year you must request another.

Update Existing Accounts

I am no longer in need of your services what do I do?

We are sad to see you go! To start, you can initiate account cancelation on the client portal. Your account will need to be free of outstanding postage and term balances. Once cancelled, you will need to contact each person/company individually and let them know of your new address. If you changed your address to the YBA box address, you will need to resubmit the change of address form at the Post Office or online. Unfortunately, we are not legally able to do either of these for you.

I need to add or remove someone / business in relation to my mailbox?

To add a person(s) or business to your account please fill out a new PS Form 1583, have it notarized and mail the original and a copy of 2 ids to our office. Also, please give us a call and let us know that your adding or taking someone off, in case we start to get mail before we get the PS Form 1583.

Other Questions

Does my pet need to be registered in Sioux Falls?

Yes, please contact any vet’s office in Sioux Falls, law enforcement, or the Sioux Falls Humane Society. You need proof of rabies vaccine when you contact the vet. Neutered or spayed cat or dog cost $5/ 1-year license, $15/3-year license. Not spayed or neutered cost $25/ 1 year $72 for 3-year license.

I want to get a passport can I use the address that Your Best Address provided?

Yes, many of our international clients do this.

What do I need to do to get a concealed pistol permit to carry in South Dakota?

South Dakota law states that the applicant must have physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application.

After 1 week for the background check on a standard permit, the applicant can return to our office to pay the permit fee and receive their temporary permit. The enhanced background check takes a little bit longer as the applicant’s fingerprints are sent to Pierre for the background check. For all permits, the actual permit card will come from the Secretary of State in Pierre within 30 days.

Currently, there are 4 types of concealed pistol permits available: Standard & Enhanced.

Cost: $10
Must pass standard background check
Valid in 31 states
Duration: 5 years

Cost: $70
Must pass fingerprint background check ($43.25 processing fee payable to DCI)
Valid in 32 states
Allows purchasing of firearm without NICS check
Duration: 5 years

Cost: $100
Must pass fingerprint background check ($43.25 processing fee payable to DCI)
Valid in 37 states, including Nebraska and Minnesota
Requires successful completion of a qualifying handgun course
Allows purchasing of firearm without NICS check
Current list of course
Duration: 5 years

Restricted Enhanced Permit:
For permit holders age 18-20 years old
Same cost & requirements as regular enhanced permit
Same benefits as regular enhanced permit, minus reciprocity with Minnesota and Nebraska

I have a business and need a registered agent can your services provide this?

Yes, please contact us to add this service to your account. There is a $125 per year fee for this add-on.